Child Abuse Neglect

Clinton Township Child Abuse Defense Lawyer

Allegations of child abuse or neglect can turn a family upside down. Children may be removed abruptly from the only home they've ever known. Parents are told they may lose their kids, but they don't know what they can do to stop it.

Being accused of child abuse or neglect feels like being dropped into chaos. You suddenly find yourself facing both a social services bureaucracy and the family courts. Most people don't have a clear understanding of what is happening or what is required of them. You may also find yourself facing a separate criminal case.

If you have been contacted by Child Protective Services of the Michigan Department of Human Services (DHS), you need to contact a lawyer.

Dennis J. Rickert knows exactly how these cases work from both the government's perspective and from the defense side. Prior to becoming a family law and criminal defense attorney, he served as a police officer for 22 years.

For three of those years, he was a detective in the Youth Bureau, where his duties included investigating cases of child abuse and neglect. He has also served as a court-appointed guardian ad litem on numerous occasions, defending the rights of children in these cases. He understands the ins and outs of child abuse cases, and he knows how to defend people against these serious allegations.

Attorney Rickert defends parents in DHS child neglect and abuse cases. He can make sure you understand your rights, defend you against the allegations, and help you obtain a favorable reunification plan. He can also defend parents and others who are facing criminal charges involving child abuse or neglect.

To schedule a free initial consultation, call 586-727-3355 or contact Mr. Rickert online.

When Should I Speak With a Lawyer?

When the Department of Human Services begins to investigate allegations of possible child abuse or neglect, they contact those who may be involved. A phone call, a letter, or a home visit from DHS or Child Protective Services means that they are considering taking action in your case. You could contact an attorney immediately.

Depending on the circumstances, DHS could require you to undergo a child custody evaluation or defend yourself in court. If a court case is initiated, the court may require you to work with a DHS social worker to set up a plan to address the problems you are accused of.

If DHS believes that your children are in imminent danger, Child Protective Services can be called to remove your children from the home immediately and put them in foster care until the State of Michigan is satisfied that you can provide a safe home environment for them. In such cases, an emergency hearing will be held to determine if Child Protective Services has acted correctly.

Attorney Dennis J. Rickert can represent you at any stage of a DHS child protection case. He can help you communicate effectively with DHS, represent you at the emergency hearing or any other hearing, and help you get your children back as soon as possible.

Contact an Attorney You Can Rely On

The insight Dennis J. Rickert has gained working on child abuse cases both as a police officer and as a defense attorney have taught him one important lesson: Never forget the human element in any case.

If you have been contacted by the Department of Human Services, take action right away to protect your rights and the best interests of your children. For a free initial consultation to discuss your case, call 586-727-3355, or contact Mr. Rickert online.

Contact Us For A Free Consultation
Contact Us